STEELWORK FIRE PROTECTION
FIRE PROTECTION CONSULTING
Get a free advice on fire protection from our specialists:
Optimization of fire protection costs for metal structures
Development of pre-design solutions with due regard to advanced developments in the area of effective fire resistance designing
Competent choice of fire protection technologies and means
Selection of contractors and purchase of fire protection materials
Organization and conducting of tests
Support in the interaction with regulatory authorities
Fire protection regulatory and legal base
Learn more about the general concepts and principles of fire resistance of steel structures:
fire resistance limit
fire resistance classes
REGULATORY DOCUMENTS ON FIRE PROTECTION
The main document that regulates the works on fire protection of building structures in Ukraine is the Fire Protection Rules
The main regulatory documents on fire safety are DBN B.1.1-7: 2016 "Fire Safety of Construction Projects". General requirements
An alternative branch of designing in Ukraine is the application of Eurocodes
MAIN STAGES OF FIRE PROTECTION
1. Determining the degree of fire resistance of the building
2. Determining fire resistance classes of building structures for the respective degree of fire resistance of the building
3. Analysis of the conditions of fire protection works, operation of the fire protective coating, customer’s requests for types of fire protective materials and other factors
4. Selection of fire protective materials subject to regulatory, aesthetic, economic and other factors
5. Development of a project on fire protection works
6. Fire protective treatment of building structures
7. Delivery and acceptance of completed fire protection works
8. Service lifeREAD MORE
RECOMMENDATIONS ON FIRE PROTECTION SELECTION
Learn more about the most common fire protection materials:
constructive fire protection materials (plates, segments, shells, stoneware, blocks)
fire protective plaster mixtures
thin-layer reactive coatings of intumescent type (bulking)
WAYS TO REDUCE THE COST OF FIRE PROTECTION
Optimal selection of fire protection means on the basis of a comprehensive analysis of parameters (type of the fire protection means, its cost, consumption, service life) is a key factor in reducing the fire protection cost at the construction project.
The article also describes additional tools to reduce the fire protection costsREAD MORE
Get answers to the main questions regarding fire protection of steel structures:
degree of fire resistance of the building
fire protection materials
cross section coefficients of steel structures
operating conditions of fire protective coatings
and much more
Being an integral feature of modern construction, steel load-bearing structures can lose their load-bearing capacity under the influence of high temperatures.
In the event of a fire, the steel elements become more yielding after a while, there are linear thermal deformations that cause changes in the structure dimensions, their distortion and subsequent destruction.
Research of steel strength in the conditions of high temperatures shows that at a temperature of 500 ÷ 550 °C steel is able to withstand only 60% of the load applied to it under normal operating conditions. The critical temperature of steel, at which the structural element is still able to perform its load-bearing function, is considered to be 500 °C. At the same time, calculations and research show that the temperature of loss of the load-bearing of the steel structure of a building is not a fixed value, it varies depending on many factors, the two most important of which are the heating temperature of the structure and the load applied to it.
In order to meet the requirements for fire resistance of structures (the time during which the structure can perform its protective or load-bearing functions) regulated by the applied construction codes, steel structures are subjected to fire protection treatment, which is a very important stage of steel construction. For the owner of the building, effective fire protection of metal structures allows to ensure the safe evacuation of people from the building, preservation of material resources, as well as compliance of the construction project with all the requirements of the applicable legislation. A number of algorithms and methods of fire protection of structures is used to address this issue, and the choice of the correct solution makes it possible to minimize costs and ensure the maximum fire protection efficiency in the project implementation.
Fire protection is divided into two main groups: active and passive.
Active methods are the address and analog systems of fire arrangements — fire alarms, automatic fire extinguishing systems — water sprinkler systems and automated smoke removal systems.
Passive methods imply the use of coatings of cladding and heat-insulating type, the fire protection effect of which is determined by the thermophysical properties of the protective material used, as well as reactive type coatings, which bulk under high temperatures and form a heat-insulating coke layer on the protected surface.
The most common materials used in passive fire protection include structural fire protective materials (slabs, mats, segments, shells, stoneware, blocks), fire protective plaster mixtures and thin-layer reactive coatings of the intumescent (bulking) type.
The method and means of fire protection of steel structures are determined at the stage of designing a specific project, subject to the following factors:
· Required class of fire resistance of structures in accordance with the degree of fire resistance of the building
· Type of steel structure and spatial location
· Restrictions on the loading of the fire protective coating on the structures
· Conditions of the performance of the construction and installation and fire protection works
· Required terms of the fire-protection treatment conducting
· Aesthetic appearance and architectural attractiveness
· Environmental characteristics of the fire protective coating
· Operating conditions of the fire protective coating
· Cost of fire protection treatment, including the price of the fire protective material and the cost of fire protection works
The Steel Structures Fire Protection Committee of the Ukrainian Steel Construction Center provides comprehensive support to participants of the construction process (investors, developers, architects, design organizations) on all issues related to standardization of fire resistance of building structures, design and execution of fire protection works, their delivery and acceptance, as well as:
· Optimization of costs for steelwork fire protection.
· Development of pre-design fire protection solutions with due regard to advanced developments in the area of effective designing
· Competent choice of fire protection technologies and means
· Selection of contractors for execution of fire protection works and purchase of fire protective materials.
· Organization and conducting of testing of building structures equipped with fire protection systems.
· Support in communication with regulatory authorities and experts.
· Regulatory and legal base in the area of fire protection of steel structures.